Sunday, December 16, 2007

Setting Up Ruby on Rails

I use Windows (2000). When I started this project a few weeks ago the recommended option for Windows was installing InstantRails.

Instant Rails is a one-stop Rails runtime solution containing Ruby, Rails, Apache, and MySQL, all pre-configured and ready to run. No installer, you simply drop it into the directory of your choice and run it. It does not modify your system environment.
That's what I installed and it seems to work just fine and dandy.

A few days ago, while trying to read about upgrading to Rails 2.0, the InstantRails web site said:
Instant Rails is no longer being maintained and has been replaced by the BitNami RubyStack.
I actually tried installing the BitNami RubyStack but the installation failed on my system.

Anyway, today that note has changed and it now reads:
Rob Bazinet has offered to take over the Instant Rails project and will soon be releasing a new version feature Rails 2.0. [Instant Rails Lives On]
Way to go Rob.

So, that's one unnecessary annoying detour I took but is hopefully now taken care of.
InstantRails does just what it says on the box, unzip it and use it.

2 comments:

Rob Bazinet said...

Yes, Instant Rails deserved to live on and being a long-time user, I figured I could make Instant Rails continue.

I will have a release ready soon.

-Rob Bazinet
www.accidentaltechnologist.com

A.S. said...

I completely agree, and I commend you on taking up the challenge.

I have some usability comments about InstantRails that I'll probably post about in a later post.