Saturday, December 15, 2007

Rookie Indeed!

I'll come out and say it right away:
I have no web development experience.
I have no web development experience.
Zero. Nada. Zilch.
No CSS, XML, SQL or any other acronym. Yeah, I can do basic HTML stuff circa 1997, but nothing beyond basic linking. I don't know PHP, Perl, Python, JavaScript or Ruby for that matter.

There, I said it.


but... I have an itch.

I have this idea for a cool little web site, I guess you could say a Web 2.0 web application (nothing for Google to worry about).

So, says I, why not do it myself. I'm a capable programmer, and I always like to learn something new. Ruby on Rails (RoR) seems to be all the rage these days, so why not?

A professional RoR developer can probably whip it up in a few hours or less, but why should s/he have all the fun.

Thus, I shall be spending my precious 1-2 evening hours of spare time (when available), over the coming months, pursuing this worthy goal and hopefully learning something in the process.

I'll be documenting my torments, stumblings and victories here, mostly as a log for me but also perhaps to help others in similar situations.

No comments: